One of the best parts of what I do is that I get to meet and work with many amazing small business owners. I hear about their personal story, why they love what they do, the amazing work they do with their clients and yet they are struggling to get more clients consistently and make decent money in their business.
They market the way many small business owners do… they have a website, they use social media, they send out emails…but results they desire don’t show.
Here are the top five marketing mistakes I see many small business owners make:
- Going for a sale like a one nightstand: You wouldn’t marry someone after one date so why would your clients purchase from you after one ‘date’? People like to buy from other people they know, like and trust and it takes time to create this relationship. Nurture this new relationship and be patient. When the time is right and they have the desire, they will purchase from you.
- Not having an enticing offer: The days are gone of simply getting people to subscribe to a free newsletter. People are too busy and protective of their emails so it is essential to use an enticing free offer to gather leads. It could be a free report, CD, audio download, transcript, checklist or video series. I use a free report on my website which I encourage my clients to model.
- Thinking that sending out one message about your product or services will increase sales: No doubt you are subscribed to multiple newsletters and ‘like’ many pages on Facebook, and remember so are you clients so sending one message isn’t going to break through the information overload we all experience. There is a seven times rule that is your prospects will have to see your message seven times before they will even pay attention, let alone pull out their credit card to purchase from you.
- Thinking social media will be your end all: Social media is global, it allows you to build relationships and it’s free. As a result, everyone is online these days and there is a lot of noise. You have to be strategic to break through the clutter and reach the people you really want to reach. Social media works best when used with other marketing strategies to ensure you cover all your bases.
- Thinking online marketing will be all you need: I see many small business entrepreneurs gravitate to online businesses relieved to be able to hind behind a computer whilst making millions. But the truth is, you should be doing both online and offline marketing on a regular basis. A solid, consistent and integrated marketing plan is what will get you clients, make money and allow you to live a life you love.
Do you need help with
sales and marketing?
There are 490 marketing agencies on standby