I know what it’s like to think that the lifestyle you want is out of each. I used to lie on my single bed in a 10-square-metre room that I rented flipping through magazines, wishing I could have the luxurious lifestyles I read about.
Despite the negative, nagging voice in my head that reminded me of my financial situation, it took me two years to live a life I loved. I started from scratch with nothing but a desire for more out of life.
How did I do it? By having the willingness to change and deciding not to settle for being average.
Changing your mindset can be a challenge and it is something I still work on to this day, but the rewards are well worth the cost.
Here is how you can get started:
- Take personal responsibility: We create our lives in each moment by the decisions we make and the actions we take, so the results you have in your life (whether you like them or not) is simply an indicator of whether you are on track or that we need to change. Personal responsibility is the foundation to moving through the following steps.
- Eliminate negativity: This includes negative self-talk too. Why would the universe bring you a better life if you don’t appreciate what you already have? Show gratitude for everything in your life right now. Those seemingly bad days happen for a reason, so whenever you find yourself thinking “I can’t do this” or “I don’t deserve this”, reframe it as the opposite to “I can do that, that is possible for me”. You owe it to yourself.
- Document your dreams: I wanted a new house, a business, a lifestyle, so I listed all the qualities in the home, business and lifestyle that I was after. Don’t censor yourself. Anything is possible, even if it seems silly now. I bought magazines, scoured the internet and found pictures of my dream and created a vision board. I still do this today and it is displayed on the wall right behind my laptop so I see it daily becoming a constant reminder of what is on its way.
- Surround yourself with supportive people: Your true friends and family will be happy to share in your dream. If you don’t have anyone else to support you, then it’s time to make some new friends – join a yoga class, participate in a cooking class, join a local networking group or mastermind.
- Decide, believe and watch for clues: It’s not enough to make a decision to work towards your dreams. You must truly believe in them – even if you don’t know HOW they will manifest themselves. Watch for clues, even the subtle clues which can easily be missed, and the HOW will find you.
- Act on opportunities when they appear: Action involves risk. You might have to hire more people or figure out how to hire that amazing next mentor. But it is up to YOU to take action when the HOW is revealed.
Do you need help with
lifestyle and health?
There are 137 HR consultants on standby