All of the successful people I know and have mentored with have success rituals. Some of these successful people are the greatest minds on the planet and have taught me that habits, or disciplines, are essential for success. A series of habits or disciplines become a ritual.
Over recent years I have tried various rituals. Some successful and others weren’t. I found the more time intensive and rigid it was, the harder it was for me to stick to it. I like things to be short and simple so I took the easiest components that had the maximum impact on my life. This isn’t all I do to create success. It is simply the foundation of my day.
I don’t claim to be perfect and sometimes I slip up. Getting up at 5am in the middle of winter can be tough, as is exercising in the rain. Do I do this day in day out? No. I allow myself flexibility when I need it.
Here is my personal success ritual.
- Wake at 5am. I love early mornings. It is quiet, I’m super alert and it gives me time to allow me to focus on my goals and important projects whilst being uninterrupted. I have learnt to listen to my body and create a schedule that worked for me. I found by focusing on my goals in the morning, it allowed the day to support the achievement of the goals. Try waking one hour earlier than normal. I guarantee you won’t feel tired during the day or need to go to sleep earlier. Most people oversleep as it is. Their bodies just need re-training.
- Drink a glass of water with lemon. Whilst we sleep our brain and our body becomes dehydrated. When we become dehydrated our brain can’t function at it’s peak level. To get my brain back into operating at a peak level, I drink a glass of water with a squeeze of lemon. The lemon aids in gently ridding toxins from my body. Make it the night before and have it by your bedside for when you wake.
- Exercise for 30 minutes. I love yoga, walking by the ocean or rebounding and I concentrate on deep breathing. Neither exercise is strenuous and it ensures my muscles are awake and alive. My cells become oxygenated and provides for clear thinking. I often get my best ideas and strategic thinking done at this time. My mind is also clearer throughout the day compared to when I don’t exercise in the morning. If you aren’t into exercise, you could even walk around the block.
- Watch my mind movie. If you don’t know what a mind movie is, it is simply a visual representation with affirmations of what you would like to achieve in your life. I have also added music. I watch mine daily and I feel the emotions of achieving each goal. Our minds think in images and our subconscious part of the brain can’t distinguish between what is real and what isn’t so results towards these goals are manifested. Mind movies are one of the ultimate visualisation tools available. Google samples of mind movies and start the simple way by creating a PowerPoint presentation.
- Meditate on my intentions for the day. My intentions are different from my goals. Goals are big picture and intentions are what I need to achieve that day. I may not know exactly how it will happen and by meditating on my intentions, it creates clear space to think of solutions. You can purchase meditation sound tracks or you can simply sit in a quiet space with your eyes shut. I meditate for 15 minutes which is enough for me to silence my busy mind. Meditation is overlooked in our society and many report they start thinking about what to have for dinner or what is happening on the weekend. When your mind wanders, don’t beat yourself up. Just take your mind to focusing on each deep breath. It will take some practice.
This entire success ritual doesn’t take any longer than 45 minutes and the results through productivity, quality of work and personal and business growth are profound. 45 minutes each day isn’t a lot to ask to be able to live the life of your dreams.
Now I would love to hear from you. In the comments below, tell me your biggest insight you are taking away from this?
If you found value in this article, please share it with your friends – it would mean the world to me. Thank you!
Do you need help with
There are 1 startup consultants on standby