I recently completed a series of short presentations on the 10 key aspects of SME Management. They are deliberately short, condensed and to the point, so much so that I have used an expression from the kitchen and called the series the “Essence of Management”
Those of you who know me or are regular readers of my articles you know my reputation as an unmitigated waffler so reducing complex points to an essence whilst retaining both relevance and interest was quite a challenge!
To be a good leader you need to grasp, understand and build on “The 3 C’s of Leadership”
- Competence: your ability to do the job
- Credibility: ensuring others believe you can do the job
- Confidence: knowing you can do the job and that others believe in you. You have a sense of purpose.
So there you have it!!....Leadership Essence.
Now to provide a little polish before you pin on the Gold Leadership Star.
- It’s okay to show humility. When you make a mistake admit it, own it and own the solution. Don’t wallow in a bath of negativity, just fix your mistake and move forward.
- Accept that we all lack some awareness of our own strengths and weaknesses. This acceptance allows people to see and know a little about who and what you are as a leader.
- Praise and thank your team. Let them feel the win! Take your pride in theirs. Your win in their win.
- Set time some each week to reflect on your leadership. Respect this time as you would an important meeting and be there.
- Lead. Show a sense of purpose. Where are you leading? Why are you leading? Why is it important to the organisation? Communicate these points clearly and frequently lead your team through them.
“Leadership Presence” . . . is the way you connect with people. Look and act the part.
Leadership is about the people you serve, but it’s also about you. As the leader it is your responsibility to create the conditions and supply the tools for your team to succeed. If you lead well the team will follow, there is a quotient of reciprocity, your team will realise this, it’s called respect.
As the leader you have an advantage; use it for the good of your team. Humility is a sign of strength of character, a sign of self-awareness, and also, it’s a sense of humanity.
Sip on this essence and think about leadership!
Do you need help with
There are 11 HR Experts on standby