15 SEO Tips for Small Business Owners.
Not sure what to do about SEO? Like many other small business owners, SEO can be a minefield. With so much conflicting information and advice, it is easy to blow your dollars on expensive SEO "strategies" that leave you wondering why did I even bother?
So here are a few tips that you can do yourself without the help of the experts, if you invest a little of your own time and you have an easy to use CMS associated with your website. These tips should improve your organic ranking over time.
1. Focus on a few key search phrases that you think are most relevant to your business. If you aren’t sure what to choose, do some basic research by asking your friends, work colleagues or business associates what words they would search for when sourcing products or services that you supply.
2. Look at what keywords or phrases your competitors are using, and try to differentiate your phrases from theirs, so that you can
gain a higher ranking than your competition for that phrase.
3. Make sure your own and claim a Google places listing and a Google Maps listing for your business.
4. Try to get customer reviews for your Google Maps listing as this will increase your ranking.
5. The number of local searches is increasing exponentially, so remember to choose a word in your phrase that specifies your location ( eg Accountants Perth or Physiotherapy Subiaco) and to optimise your website for local search.
6. Submit as much information through articles, blogs etc to relevant web directories, online groups, forums etc as you can to increase your site’s relevance.
7. Build links and link exchanges as the major search engines rank your site on the number of links and their relevance to your site PLUS the relevance of your site to the key words that you have chosen.
8. Make sure your meta tags reflect your key words or phrases and that your site content is peppered with your key phrases.
9. Focus on one key phrase per product or service offering.
10. Ask your clients to link to your website and return the favour.
11. Start a blog and start sharing.
12. Make your web content interesting so that people pass it on.
13. Send your website link to relevant industry websites or bloggers related to your business
14. Make sure your web content is regularly updated.
15. Use Title tags that accurately reflect your business and match with your key phrases. Keep them to less than 70 characters.