I have been doing SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) for quite a while (since the late 1990s). I've had the opportunity to work for some amazing companies on some of Australia's largest most trafficked sites such as The Sydney Morning Herald and Melbourne's The Age.
Even though I've had the opportunity to work on such amazing websites, working with amazing people, it's not easy being the SEO guy. It's a constant challenge to rank well and maintain rankings.
The sites are very complex, competition is fierce, many technical CMS (Content Management System) hurdles/limitations to overcome and often large teams of web developers and content producers to deal with. In some cases (depending on the nature of the business and competition) it's easier for small businesses (SMEs) to outperform and outrank large businesses.
I'm passionate about search and want to show SMEs how they can succeed at SEO.
I recently presented at CeBIT Sydney in May 2013. My session was part of the Small Business (SMB) stream at the event. I wrote a blog post that has highlights of my talk - "My 7 Secrets to Search Marketing Success" and I thought I'd share it with folks here at SavvySME as I want to help as many Aussie SMBs succeed with SEO.
Photo: Mark Vozzo presenting to a packed room of Small Business owners and SME employees at CeBIT Sydney, sharing his SEO tips.
My presentation covers a wide variety of topics such as:
1. Analytics - What are key Search Marketing Metrics you should be focused on?
2. Keyword Research - How do I conduct Keywords Research? What are some free tools to help me do effective Keywords Research?
3. Crawl-ability - How do Search Engine spiders work? What are some free tools to check what my page looks like to Google? How do I check how many pages of my site are in Google's database?
4. Content - How can I figure out what content I need to write? How do I optimise my content to improve ranking and traffic?
5. Connections - What types of links will affect my Search Rankings? Can you show me some free tools to check my site for broken links?
6. ROI - How I can measure Return on Investment (ROI) of my Search Marketing programs?
7. Keeping Up-to-Date - What are the best websites, newsletters and video channels I should subscribe to so I can learn more and stay ahead of the pack?
During the presentation, I cover each of the following in great detail. But here is the action list for SMEs:
View and download the slides
If you'd like to view/download my slides here they are:
My slide deck contains many links to Free SEO tools, resources and videos.
TIP: If you don't have time to go through the entire deck, the one thing you must do is watch this YouTube video titled: "Using Google Webmaster tools like a SEO" (the link is on slide 66). It's a free tool by Google that will help you uncover any SEO issues with your website that if fixed will help you get more traffic from Google.
I wish you all the best with your SEO rankings.
Do you need help with
search engine optimisation (SEO)?
There are 222 SEO companies on standby