I have 2 businesses, a 4year old daughter and I work only 4 days a week.
How do I do it? What are my tips? I raise these points because I get asked by women newly in business – especially mums of young kids – this very same question on almost a weekly basis. Without the right mindset in place it would have been all too easy for me to lose myself in my business - absolutely. But I stated my family life as my priority at the outset and worked everything around that schedule. Thankfully, it worked. I feel like with a few common-sense principles, I can enjoy success in my business and harmony at home. Read on to see how you too can give more of yourself to the areas of your life you care about most – and still feel 100%.
1. Time Management is key. I always end up doing a few hours of work each night after dinner and every day I plan my check list for the day ahead. That way I know the most important things that need to get done and what, even if I'm time poor, will give the team the most leverage.
2. Make lists. I am addicted to writing done everything I need to do. I get an enormous amount of satisfaction being able to cross it off once completed. I even like to map my tasks so I have a visual representation of priority and importance.
3. Have quality time with your children. I have set up my working week to 4 days so I get to spend one whole day with my daughter. We do wonderful things on our special day together, like lunch at a cafe, go to the beach, park, catch up with friends. I don’t feel like I am missing out on those important years – and my full attention on that day serves more for our relationship and her development than a few scattered hours I would afford her otherwise.
4. Delegate, Delegate, Delegate. Don’t think you can and need to do it all! Share the load with the people around you. I have hired well, so can entirely rely on my staff to hold court if I'm not there. Also, husband, niece and mother in law have been wonderful in helping out at home – and equally glad for the time they get to spend with my daughter.
5. Exercise & Sleep. This is crucial. As you have probably experienced, running a business can keep you up at night! Exercise – either a gym session after work or a nice walk - helps me switch off, decompress and recharge my batteries again for the day ahead.
If you make the time to plan, to organise, to exercise and to connect, the rest will flow more easily from there. Remember that you are the boss and you create the rules! It is easy to work a little more efficiently and take the time out for yourself – and for your young family – when you make the time to set the plan of your liking.
Do you need help with
lifestyle and health?
There are 137 HR consultants on standby