More marriages end in divorce litigations than ever before. But the truth is that it doesn't have to be like that. There are still many ways to solve marital disputes and issues, which too many people don't even think about before they start to involve solicitors, who in turn, are far too quick to start divorce proceedings without either party knowing exactly what they want their outcome to be.
One of the ways in which people can possibly avoid going through with something as final as a divorce, is family mediation, although, it's not quite the same as family counseling, it can still help to talk things through even if divorce is definitely on the cards. Sometimes, people seem intent on going through with a divorce, but later change their minds after talking about things calmly.
Outlined below are some of the reasons why difficulties in a marriage don't necessarily have to be the signal of a permanent end to a relationship, but even if they do, it doesn't have to be an acrimonious process fought out in the law courts.
What is family mediation?
Family mediation is a process of resolving legal issues, which can mean divorce, but in a non-adversarial way.
Why is family mediation becoming an effective process?
Family mediation has and still is fast becoming an effective method of resolving family issues and problems in the UK. Gone are the days when a marriage or a partnership has to end in a severe or harsh way. Gone are the days when a divorce has to mean that ex- husbands and ex- wives are no longer able to talk to each other civilly once the proceedings are finished.
Family mediation vs divorce litigation
- Divorce litigations can be a very long, drawn out process
- Family mediation allows families to negotiate their own settlements on the assumption that the decision to separate and/ or divorce has already been made
- When there are children involved, a lengthy and acrimonious divorce can be a difficult process and have an effect on the children.
- Family mediation helps parents to solve any issues without dragging everything through the courts
- Family mediation is far more cost- effective. Legal costs can run extremely high, particularly when couples find it hard to agree on matters
- Family mediation can take away some of the stress that comes from a separation and/ or a divorce, which can both be extremely stressful
- Family mediation allows people a private platform on which they can have their say and then decide on the best course of action and then allowing them to move forward in a constructive manner
- Family mediation helps couples to look at their own solution to their disputes
Family mediation helps couples to focus on the practicalities of their situation, especially if there are children involved. Family mediation deals with all decision- making concerning the welfare and upbringing of the children. This makes the process a lot easier on everyone involved, so that the overall end to the relationship is made as easy as possible
Do you need help with
litigation and dispute resolution?
There are 18 litigation lawyers on standby