I saw a hand written sign out front a local shop yesterday that said, "14 days until Christmas!".
Just 2 weeks left and I had a mountain of things to do to finish the year well.
Then I paused and asked myself a question,
"Actually, what would make a good finish to the year for me and my business? Is it just getting things done or something else?"
My answer was a bit of both. Sure I need to get things done, complete pressing tasks, but I also, most importantly, need a new way to look at a few old business problems.
There are few things I know I can do better. Business problems that I have not put enough time into increasing my knowledge and capacity to fix them. I know that if I spent a little time reading, learning, exploring these issues I could make great advances in my business.
But I keep putting them to the side of the list of non-immediate things to do. In my mind I know they are important but in my work flow they always get pushed to the side.
My concern is that if I don't start thinking about it now I will most likely start the new year in a rush and ignore theses things I know will improve me and my business.
So I made a decision to act and I did the following all in the last 24 hours.
- I enrolled in a few webinars focused on the key areas I need to approach differently. I did the first one last night and it was a great start.
- I read 1 chapter of a marketing book I had been planning to read. In just 8 pages it challenged a few things I’m currently doing that I could do better and great ideas are flowing already.
I encourage you, in fact I challenge you to do at least 1 thing before the end of the year that is not just getting things done.
We all have things that sidetrack us. Maybe do them a little less and try one of the following. The difference between people who are successful in what they do and those who are not is usually not intelligence but a simple commitment to improve themselves while others entertain themselves. So why not try one the following very achievable goals.
- Read a chapter of a book in an area that you need more ideas or knowledge.
- Enroll in a webinar. Even if you can’t make the actual date most of the time they will send you a recording.
- Make a meeting with a consultant or friend you can learn from on a certain issue.
Whatever it is don’t just end the year by getting things done, but by expanding your capacity to do a key task better.
If you need a new approach, inspiration, new resources, or just a little help please let me know and I will send you a few ideas.
Thanks for your time, I hope you have a great Christmas.
Do you need help with
Business Planning ?
There are 188 business coaches on standby