Business Logo Design Tools & Packages
Do you know any big brand names without a logo? We’re guessing not. Business and brand logos are a fundamental aspect of brand identity. A logo is a visual representation of your business and it can have a massive impact on how consumers perceive you.
We have a range of great offers in logo design tools and packages to create your new business logo or refresh your existing logo design. All of our offers are curated by the community, so you can trust that you’re getting tried, tested and approved products and services.
Logos are important, so it’s important to know exactly what you’re looking for. Let’s cover some of the most important things to consider.
Why is a business logo important?
A logo is far more than an image - it’s a visual representation of who your business is, what you do and how you show up in the world. Here are just some of the reasons why a logo is so important:
- It can grab peoples’ attention
- It can intrigue people to learn more about your business
- It’s memorable and how people recognise your brand
- It can distinguish you from your competitors
- It can promote brand loyalty
- It’s the crux of your brand identity
That being said, all of the above is dependent on a well-designed logo.
What makes a great logo design?
Logos come in all different shapes and sizes and there really is no limit when it comes to creativity. However, well-designed logos usually tick these boxes:
- Simple - there’s enough going on for the design to be interesting but there’s not too much to distract the eye
- Distinct - the design sets your business apart from your competitors in a positive way
- Scalable - the design is simple enough to be scaled up and down and still looks good
- Impactful -the design has a positive impact and is pleasing to look at
- Versatile - the design looks good on various online and offline media
- Relevant - the design relates to your industry and the work you do
What are the different types of logos?
Did you know that there are nine different types of logos? The different types of logos are:
- Monogram/lettergram - typography-based abbreviations or initials, e.g. IKEA
- Wordmark logo/Logotype - company name, initials or monogram, e.g. Subway
- Abstract logo marks - conceptual symbols, e.g. Apple
- Pictorial/brand marks - a simple graphic symbol or icon
- Mascot - images of a character that represent your business, e.g. KFC
- Letterforms - one letter logos, e.g. WordPress, McDonald’s
- Combination marks - a combination of words and images, e.g. Toblerone
- Emblem logo - a typeface within a border, e.g. university crests, Starbucks
- Dynamic marks - a new type of logo that adapts the text/font/colour combination according to context, e.g Nickelodeon
How can I design a logo?
If you want to design a logo for your business, you have a few options.
- Option 1: Hire a professional graphic designer to design your business logo
- Option 2: Create your own logo using graphic design software
- Option 3: Use an online logo maker or app
How much does logo design cost?
Logo design costs vary depending on who created it and the quality of the design. For instance, you can create your own logo for free using an online website, or invest in a graphic design agency to ensure you get a high quality and professional-standard logo design.
What program is best for logo design?
There are loads of great logo maker programs and graphic design tools to make your own logo, including:
- Adobe Illustrator
- Tailor Brands
- Wix Logo Maker
- SquareSpace Logo Maker
How can I design a logo for free?
There is also the option to design a logo using free online logo makers. Free online logo makers are really easy to use and you can create custom designed logos with free templates, fonts, icons and vectors without needing to hire a professional designer.
Here are some of the best free logo makers available:
- Hipster Logo Maker
- SquareSpace Logo Creator
- Wix Logo Maker
- Graphic Springs
Is it better to hire a graphic designer than use an online logo maker?
If you do decide to make your own logo using an online logo creator, it’s useful to know some of the pitfalls to avoid:
- Lack of original graphics - free graphics and images can limit you in what you want to achieve
- Limited creative assets - don't shapes and other creative assets are limited to what’s provided in the app
- No professional expertise - no access to professional advice about how your logo should look
- Fewer design features - there may be fewer special effects features, e.g. layering effects
- Limited professional photo editing features - the level of professionalism you’re looking for in photo editing may be better in programs like Adobe Photoshop
- Trademark and copyright issues - depending on the logo maker you use you may not own the rights to your logo
Whether you choose to go for a serviced logo design package, use graphic design software or a free online logo maker, it’s really helpful to know the basic logo design process to create a great logo.
How does a logo design process go?
An effective logo design is so much more than putting images, font, colour and shapes together to look pretty.
A graphic design agency will usually guide you through a creative process to design your logo, but it’s definitely worth going through this process if you’re designing the logo yourself.
- Evaluate and define your brand
Think about who your business is on a deeper level, i.e. your company values, what drives you, your unique proposition, your tone of voice, etc. If your business was a person, what would they be like?
- Research the industry and your competitors
That kind of logos do your competitors have. Are certain colours, fonts and shapes more popular?
- Identify where you will use your logo
Will you be using the logo on digital and print media? Think about how the logo will need to be scaled up and down.
Get every single idea that pops up down on paper and sketch them out to see what they look like outside of your head.
- Create drafts
Create some mockups on software or logo maker apps to see how the logo will actually start taking shape.
- Get feedback
Once you have some initial designs, ask your staff, family and friends to give feedback on what they like and don’t like. This is a really great source to improve your design.
- Prepare the final logo design
Using the feedback you received, refine the final design and prepare the various logo files you need.
Have any more questions about which design programs or logo makers you should use? Reach out to our community or get advice from an experienced graphic designer.