Tracey Hall

Asked this question on 22/6/16 -Home Based Business

If you use your home as your office, can you claim on tax?

Can you claim any house related expenses on tax?

Top voted answer
George Grimekis CPA

George Grimekis CPA Accountant at Alpha Omega Accounting & Business Solutions

Hi Tracey,

There a different things that can be deducted depending on if you have a work area set up.

Generally speaking in your situation where your home is not your business premises you can claim utilities such as electricity and gas (apportioned), work related phone calls and depreciation on office equipment and furniture.

If you have a specific area set up to do your work you can even claim depreciation on curtains, light fittings and carpet etc.

You cannot claim rent payments, mortgage interest, insurance and council rates.

Kirsty Fox

Kirsty Fox Principal at Spitfire Accounting Solutions

Top 10% Assembling Mentors, Advisors and Board Members

As John said, talk to your accountant. The tax office has specific rules regarding home offices.

John Eustace

John Eustace Principal / Communications and Media Strategist at

Top 10% Offline and Direct Marketing


John Eustace

Talk to your accountant Tracey