How do I start building a following on Twitter?
I've never used Twitter for anything other than posting my latest posts etc...
I have a client asking about using Twitter to build a following for their business and communicating with their industry in a real way etc... (probably Twitter's intended purpose :)
How do you start?
I have built a decent following on twitter, a few tips.
- Follow trends in your area (comment on big areas)
- Place a Twitter "Follow" button on your website/ email lists.
- Run competitions via Twitter to gain followers, just tell them to re tweet a specific message (I have done this a few times)
- At big conferences live tweet the event, you can usually get 50-100 followers from this by interacting with the people at the conferences.
- Build a brand in the space and say if people have any questions you will give 1 hour free a month to answer them.
- Follow industry specific people, but dont follow too many people it makes you look spammy.
- Hard work and posting out great content to get a large number of re tweets.
But yeah example profile here: https://twitter.com/connections8
I will not propose to be an expert, but here's my two-cents anyway.
- Start 'Following' people in your area of interest, they will likely to follow you back. Like-minded people tend to flock and support each other.
- Start Following your targeted audience. They will get curious and look you up to see who are or what you have to offer, and possibly collaborate with you.
- Re-tweet others' Tweets if you find it interesting enough and would like your followers to see it too. But don't overdo re-tweeting, maybe once or twice a week.
- Follow 2 or 3 big names in your line of business. If they get to follow you, you'll get to be suggested as also Followed by these big names.
Here you go. Hope this helps.
1. Create a rigorous schedule and the discipline to follow it.
2. Follow as many relevant people as possible.
3. Create links on all your social media pages.
4. Write good and relevant content. Also don't forget to express your own self.
Hope this helps :-) Good luck...
Before jumping into Twitter, perhaps the 1st question your client should ask is "what is their social media / marketing strategy?" and do they have the manpower and skills to do so? Is Twitter the suitable platform to communicate with their industry / clients / prospects too?
There's already several good tactics suggested and here's a few more:
- use the search capabilities on twitter on keywords
- don't overuse or misuse hashtags
- add value, post good stuff
- consider a good mix of content creation vs content curation
- give credit to sources
- embed videos and pics in your posts