Apurv Bhalla CPA
Apurv Bhalla CPA Accountant at Success Tax Professionals

What tax expenses can I claim as an IT professional?

Aside from home-office expenses, what else can you claim in your tax return as an IT professional?



Top voted answer
Liam Shorte

Liam Shorte, Director, SMSF Specialist Advisor & Financial Planner at Verante Financial Planning & The SMSF Coach

Here is a link to the ATO's page specifically for IT professionals. http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/00322817.htm


Cliona Elliott

Cliona Elliott, Senior Editor at

IT professionals can claim a range of tax deductions for work-related expenses. Below is a summary of the most common:

  • Work-related expenses
  • Self-education expenses
  • Car expenses
  • Clothing bought to be used specifically for your job, e.g. a uniform 
  • Work-related phone and internet expenses
  • Tools and equipment used for work
  • Professional association and union fees 
You can find detailed information about the above on the ATO's website: https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Income-and-deductions/In-detail/Occupation-and-industry-specific-guides/IT-professionals---income-and-work-related-deductions/?anchor=Deductions#Deductions

Apurv Bhalla CPA

Apurv Bhalla CPA, Accountant at Success Tax Professionals