What are the pros and cons of hiring local web developers vs cheap overseas web developers?
Is there a difference between hiring local web developers and cheap overseas web developers? What should you consider when making the decision?
In additio to the points made by Ivana Katz - all of which are valid, and which I will not repeat:
LONG TERM BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP
CUSTOMIZED SITES RATHER THAN COOKIE CUTTER SITES
We get approached occasionally to 'fix' a website. We don't accept most of these jobs becuase thw site in question has often been built so badly that the best course of action is to delete it and start again - that's a real RISK.
Another RISK - if you need a complex site such as that for a real estate agent, them you need some future proofing - and a cookie cutter done on a cheap WP theme for instance, won't provide that,
Anoher RISK - site performance. A potential client of ours had paid an overses company around $1,000 US for a complex site. It took 30s to load on desktop and he wanted it 'fixed' - sorry, but no thank you.
Going local can also carry these risks unless you hire a professional - a company prepared to put its performance pledges where they belong - in the development contract.
Hope that helps.
There is usually a difference between hiring local and foreign web developers, but the lines are blurry. Here are a few things to keep in mind when hiring web developers - local or foreign:
- Project brief - whatever your approach, the best asset you can bring to a discussion is a comprehensive brief and outline of what you want. Before speaking with any developers, get clear on your own non-negotiables, even if they’re very basic.
- Platform - be aware that there are different platforms on which your website can be built. Whether or not you hire a developer that will manage your site ongoing, it needs to be easily managed by other parties - either yourself or a future developer. Steer away from custom-built back-ends, unless part of the project is delivering a comprehensive set of user instructions.
- Language - yes, if you hire someone from outside Australia, it’s possible their native language is not English. This can present a challenge when you’re trying to communicate what you want (or, indeed anything) - be aware you’ll have to put in extra effort to be clear.
- Cost - it is often cheaper to hire a foreign web developer, because of different pay rates. Sometimes this translates to lower quality work - but not always. Have a clear checklist of things you want from your website, and the performance you expect, and ‘lower quality’ need not be an issue.
These are just a few of the factors to consider when hiring a web developer. It’s an exciting time - and usually a pretty big project. Good luck!
Over the years I have spoken to many customers who had their website developed offshore and these are some points they have brought up in regards to hiring a local website designer vs offshore designer/developer.
Get a website designed offshore
- Save money
- Cultural and work ethic differences
- Difficult to manage from afar
- Language barriers
- Time differences
- Lack of local market knowledge
- Limited technical support
- Lack of trust to deliver what was promised
Get a website designed locally
- Knowledge of local market
- Understands website design trends and security
- Able to design advanced websites including shopping carts, membership portals, etc
- Can help with website marketing and search engine optimisation
- Troubleshoot and fix up problems
- Costs more than offshore developer
I guess it all comes down to trust. Of course, if you know or can visit a web designer in person, it can be better. But it also comes down to legal documentation as well. If you are hiring a web designer from another country, their country can have different laws from your country of origin. But it also comes down to the quality of web design. I can't really say what is the difference. I guess it comes down to user choice in the end. In some countries, you are hard-pressed finding a good web designer or web design business. If you decide to hire a web designer from overseas or another country, make sure you get a contract that states what they have to do for the money you are paying and make sure that the contract is applicable in both countries.
Visit https://customwebcreations.com.au for great web design