How would you find suitable funding for a community housing project?
Fast becoming an issue, community housing for people who are or will be displaced by a range of issues.
- Over 55 and can't get work.
- Abused and supporting families etc...
Females over 55 are fast becoming the stand out category of people requiring housing.
So the question is about how to fund these developments, but there are some things to consider.
- Cooperative housing works in some cases but is seemingly limited in their approach, ability to grow etc.
- Standard housing options are at best expensive to run and pre existing hosues in australia are poorly insulated.
- Cooperative housing seems to depend on donated housing, from the Govt.
I have developed a small number of houses, which are designed to be efficient and cost effective to run. I rent these to the standard rental market.
- Active solar units for the hot water and power.
- Double glazed.
- Easy to maintain yards.
- Ability to add a battery back up sytem when these become more affordable.
So all that's nice, and thanks very much, but to create this type of housing for a low end rental market and be able to readily duplicate it is one thing, but it needs an approach to finance I don't yet posess, so I'm after a way to perhaps create a cooperative or other business model that can leverage the house costs without too much emphasis on teh rental income, as that will be low and in some situation may not exist for a period of time.
Interesting question! @Jef Lippiatt do you have any knowledge of this area? What have you found to be the best way to secure funding?