What sort of problems/pain points do SME owner have when it comes to hiring new employees?
I've come across some common answers such as: "I receive too many application to weed through and it becomes overwhelming" "I don't receive enough job applications for the position" "I don't know how to distinguish a good candidate from a bad one because I don't know enough about [profession]"I was wondering if there are any other problems that have occurred to you when it comes to the hiring process?
Jef Lippiatt ,
Owner at Startup Chucktown
Yes, I would say there are several more you could add to that list.
- Not doing due diligence (e.g. calling references to ensure honesty and quality)
- Speaking with in person or over the phone (trusting paper isn't a safe bet)
- Determining if your business resonates with them (why they want the job)
- Asking them to spend a bit of time with people in other departments (get perspective from others and gather that feedback)
- See what the candidate is like in a more relaxed setting (not being grilled with interview questions)
- Ask them if they have any questions about your on boarding expectations