Should I do social media marketing?
As a writer/editor who freelances occasionally, should I bother with social media marketing? what are you experiences as freelancers or writers?
I think the first question you should ask yourself is what is it that you want to get from using social media? Understanding your end goal of using social media will help you determine a few things.
- Know the goal - having definite goals will help you determine what social media platforms make sense.
- Do you want to connect with other writers?
- Get your writing in front of a larger or different audience?
- Learn from other writers and creatives?
- Make / Consume / Hybrid - how are you approaching social media? Knowing how you want to participate can also drive what platforms you target.
- Casually lurking for inspiration? (Youtube, Pinterest, etc.)
- Share expertise? (LinkedIn, Blab, Periscope, etc.)
- Like the back and forth? (Twitter, Quora, Forums, etc.)
- Time to Spare - how much time are you willing to dedicate to social media? Knowing your commitment level will help drive expectations and potentially the model (above) how you interact on social media.
- Not much time? You probably are lurking or infrequently sharing (don't expect to gain a huge following, but expect to have some fun).
- Particular platform? Do you feel like you want to go all in but not stress yourself out trying to keep up with every social network? Dedicate the time you have to the social media outlets that will give you the most return for your invested time and effort.
- All in? Get ready to find some aggregation apps and automation tools to keep your posts across multiple channels flowing out seamlessly. However, don't let all the feeds become automated robots (after all it is called "social" media). So be social when you can.
I hope that helps. I look forward to your thoughts and feedback.
Social is a broad term.
You can't avoid it though.
At the least, create a killer LinkedIn profile and start getting visible in LinkedIn and facebook groups, by commenting and posting.
This takes time, but will help you get your name out there.
I'm a copywriter and am a member of a few closed groups on Facebook, which have been quite helpful and I've got a few clients through these.