- Designer & Strategic Marketter at Wiild Interactive
Use google page speed test to check your page performance: https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insi...
It gives some suggestions on improving performance which you can follow.
Some common approaches:
- Concatenate and minify scripts and styles - there are lots of wordpress plugins for this
This is also a moot point if you can upgrade your hosting to run http2
- Remove unneeded functionality, if using WordPress the key way to slow down your site is to add too many plugins without reviewing their affect on your site
- Upgrade your hosting - I've upgraded a couple sites recently to php7 which runs tons faster, especially after moving onto http2
- Optimise the images on your site, you can save a ton of space here - check out this service: https://imagify.io/
- Owner at Startup Chucktown
- Charleston, SC, United States
I would also add that you should only use enough to accomplish your goal.
What do I mean?
Not every website needs
- to be Wordpress.
- social media feeds
- tons of plugins
- more than 2 web fonts
- HD pictures or video
- user registration / login
Only build or use the functionality necessary to convey your message or run your business. Think about how things will load on mobile (which is much different than on a laptop or desktop computer).
If people don't want to use a lot of cellular data, you'll likely not get people to visit on their mobiles and/or tablets if just loading your home page chews through data.
This about the function of your website, your customers and their devices.
I wrote about speedup ecommece website in easy way here -